Thursday, May 2, 2013
6:09 I wake up for a bathroom break, my first of the morning and night. Woohoo! Usually this would wake me up for good, but today I'm able to go back to sleep for a few more minutes.
6:45 My first alarm goes off. I roll over and check a few things on my phone (the important stuff like email, facebook, etc.), then close my eyes again.
6:50 Rodney's alarm goes off. I ask him to hand me the monitor so I can check on Isaac. He's laying on his stomach and is still, so I'm not sure if he's asleep or awake.
6:55 My second alarm goes off, and this time Isaac is rolling over like he's just waking up. This is the third morning in a row he has "slept late".
7:03 Time to finally get up. On my way to Isaac's room I stop by the bedroom we are moving him into. We have been painting for days now, and I stop to check on last night's progress. I'm very disappointed that it didn't dry like I hoped it would and will need another coat tonight. Next is Isaac's room where he greets me first thing by telling me about his scrape he got yesterday while playing outside.
We go into the living room where he tells me he wants to watch his show and I remind him that we always watch my show first (The Today Show). I figure if we watch what he wants the rest of the day, I should at least get my show for an hour every morning. We do this every day and he knows this, but today he decides to get upset and pout about it. I start fixing Isaac's lunch for Mother's Day Out. He usually goes to MDO at 9:00 on Thursdays but today he has his 2.5 year well check-up at 8:45, then he'll go to school.
7:33 Rodney leaves for work and Isaac and I sit down for breakfast. Waffle and banana for him, Greek yogurt for me.
7:53 After breakfast we go to Isaac's room to get him dressed. As I'm changing his diaper he tells me he wants to pee pee on the potty, which is something we never do this time of day, but I go with it. He actually squeezes out a little bit and I'm impressed. I want to change his bandaid and put neosporin on his scrape so we had to my bathroom where both of those are. He says to me "Can you carry me?" and I told him no (darn placenta previa and lifting restrictions, plus he's just heavy!) so he said, "How 'bout I just walk?" and happily walked on.
8:00 I turn on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and the sprint is on for me to get dressed and ready. Hair, makeup, teeth, clothes.
![]() |
| pardon the messy background. This is real life. |
8:21 We finally pull out of the garage.
8:44 We arrive at the doctor's office with one minute to spare. Too bad we have to waste that one minute putting his shoes on because we didn't have time to do it before we left the house.
I get inside and realize I don't have my insurance card with me. The receptionist was very nice about it and they have all the info in the system, but it worries me because I don't know where else it could be. I fill out the normal paperwork and we finally go back to get measured. Today (on his exact 30 month birthday) he is 30 pounds and 36 inches tall.
As we left, the doctor said to me, "I'll see him again at 3 years, but I'm sure I'll see you again before that" and smiled. I smiled and said yes, thinking she meant that kids are always sick and needing to come to the doctor for one thing or another, but it wasn't until later that I realized she meant she'll see me with the new baby. Pregnancy brain!
9:35 We're back in the car and on our way to take Isaac to school.
9:50 We get to the church where Isaac goes to MDO and I take him inside. Drop-off and pick-up is done through a car line and we never have to go inside, so he's pretty excited to show me where his classroom is.
10:10 I arrive home to a quiet house. Between going to bed late last night, rushing to get out the door this morning, keeping him contained at the doctor's office, a stressful (minor) accident, and being pregnant in general, I'm exhausted already. I plop myself down on the couch to rest for a while, checking on blogs, Facebook, and starting this post. Usually around this time I would have some email conversations with Rodney about dinner, what we're doing later, random things, but he's in a conference all day today and can't really text or email much at all.
11:00 I put dinner in the crock pot (this from Six Sister's Stuff, my new favorite source for recipes. Everything I've tried has been delicious!). I'm hungry so I warm up a can of soup from the pantry and load and start the dishwasher. The soup isn't exactly hitting the spot, so I go back to the pantry and find some tortilla chips. Today feels like a random snack/munchies days. I catch up on a little DVR while I eat.
12:05 I'm more exhausted than ever but I force myself to get up and do some things around the house. The floor is filthy so I sweep the best I can then mop part of it. I typically stay away from mopping and vacuuming these days (especially since I'm getting super close to the third trimester when my bleeding risk goes way up) but the floor really needs it today. Rodney has worked his butt off for me every night this week so I don't feel comfortable asking him to do it tonight even though I know he would. My mom is coming tomorrow and I know she would also gladly do it but I don't want to wait that long. I settled on doing half the floor and leaving the rest for tomorrow. Meanwhile, the baby is using my bladder for soccer practice or as a trampoline. He's super low today and it's such a weird feeling.
12:55 I lay down in bed to rest and play with my phone for a while. I had no intention of sleeping, but after a few minutes I can't resist it anymore. I set an alarm on my phone and fall asleep fast.
1:40 My alarm goes off and I really don't want to wake up, but I have to. I looked around me and realize the cats took advantage of naptime too.
I lay in bed for a few more minutes then do a few last minute things before I have to get Isaac. I grab a couple of cookies on my way out the door. Yummy.
2:05 In the car on the way to pick up Isaac. At a redlight, I look down and see a couple of tiny stains on my belly.
I took my shirt off before lunch and wore my tank top so this wouldn't happen but I must not have taken it off in time. I'm a little frustrated because I have errands to run in my stained shirt, but oh well. I stop at Walgreen's to pick up a birthday card and gift card for my best friend and can't resist the urge for a Cherry Coke as well. I'm still feeling the need for a caffeine pick-me-up.
I pick up Isaac and we head to Home Depot to get more paint rollers for tonight. He loves looking at the flowers and lawn mowers outside.
3:10 Back home. The smell of dinner in the crock pot hits me right away. Isaac immediately asks for crackers and Mickey on the couch. This is a fairly new after-school routine. I put some Ritz Bits in a bowl and he eats them on the couch while watching an episode of a show. After Mickey he requests an episode of Doc McStuffins so I oblige and take the opportunity to upload some pictures from today.
4:05 We turn the tv off and go outside to play. It has been windy all day (windier than I like) and has recently turned cloudy and overcast, but we need to go out for a change of scenery.
We color with chalk and dance to a song that one of his trucks plays. It's a 16 second song (yes, I timed it) and he must have played it for 20 minutes straight. Eventually the kid from the next street over starts riding his dirtbike in the empty lot across the street. I can't stand it but it totally makes Isaac's day. He loves watching the "motorcycle".
4:50 The dirtbike kid and the wind finally push me over the edge and we come inside. I unload the dishwasher while Isaac is left to entertain himself for a few minutes.
5:00 Rodney calls to say he's on his way home. I put rice on the stove to go with our dinner.
5:15 Rodney gets home and changes clothes. We eat dinner (delicious) and have a battle with Isaac over eating. Tonight he had on his plate some of our chicken and peas. He ate very few peas and refused to try his chicken.
5:50 Rodney goes outside to mow the yard and Isaac freaks out because he doesn't get to go. He loves mowing with R but if he doesn't eat his dinner he doesn't get to go. All I ask is that he try it and he couldn't even do that tonight. Tough lesson to learn but it's something we're serious about. Rodney gets to go outside and be by himself and I'm left inside with a screaming toddler. It feels like punishment more for me than for him.
I play on my phone for a few minutes while he throws a fit because I'm not sure what else to do with him. Eventually he sort of calms down and tells me he needs a cuddle. We sit together on the couch and he leans his head against my chest while I stroke his hair. After a few minutes I use the front camera on my phone to check and sure enough he is falling asleep. Tuesdays and Thursdays are hard days for him because he gets very little or no nap at school (they offer naptime but he just won't do it). A couple of Thursdays ago he fell asleep while mowing with Rodney. Today the crying must have been enough to wear him out.
6:30 Rodney comes back in from mowing.
6:40 Isaac wakes up and is pretty grouchy. Typically on Tuesdays and Thursday he gets a bath at 6:30 and is in bed around 7, but tonight I decided to skip bath, even though he really needs one. I'll do it tomorrow morning. I change him into his jammies, we read a book, and he's in bed at 6:50. This may turn out horribly but it's worth the risk. He needs some good sleep.
7:00 Rodney goes back to painting in Isaac's new room and I change into pajama pants and sit down on the couch to relax and work on this post again.
7:30 I get up to check on Rodney's progress and start a load of laundry, then straight back to the couch.
8:07 I check the monitor and see that Isaac is finally asleep. It would be easy to say it took him this long to fall asleep because of his late short "nap" but the truth is it takes him this long to fall asleep many nights. The poor kid just has a hard time shutting his brain off sometimes.
8:45 Rodney is finished painting and we sit down to watch last night's episode of Survivor, each with a bowl of chocolate frozen yogurt.
9:45 I go to the bedroom to play on my phone for a few minutes before closing my eyes for the night while Rodney stays and plays video games.










0 comments:
Post a Comment