Friday, January 28, 2011

the dog, the cats, and the baby

How about an update on how our furry housemates are getting along with the tiny human in our house?

The cats' lives really haven't changed at all.  They barely notice Isaac.  Occasionally they will walk up to him if he's on the floor and sniff his head, but that's about it.  They go about their daily activities without a care in the world.  Sophie loves hanging out in the nursery and sleeping on top of the glider.  I have to vacuum in there quite frequently and lay down lots of blankets, but a little cat hair won't hurt him.  In fact, studies have shown that children who grow up around cats and dogs will be less likely to develop allergies to them later in life.

Cash really doesn't care about Isaac either, but that situation is a little stickier than with the cats.  Cash is a little more jealous.  When Isaac and I are in his room playing on the floor during the day, Cash is usually right there with us, trying to lay on the blanket too and get my attention.  This tends to get a little annoying.

I hate to admit this, but things just aren't the same as they used to be.  I swore up and down that I was not one of those people who would love their dog less when the baby came.  Cash was our baby.  Do I love him any less now?  No.  Do I feel differently about him now?  Yes.

My priorities really have changed, as they should have.  But I still feel guilty about it.  I find myself getting annoyed that Cash always wants attention.  Today he *freaked out* with excitement when my mom got here and woke Isaac up, and I was not a happy camper.  Like, seriously wanted to wring his neck.  Isaac eventually went back to sleep and I forgot all about it, but I still hate feeling that way.

We're supposed to have great weather this weekend and we plan on taking Isaac to the park, but Cash can't go with us since dogs aren't allowed in the city parks.  I hate that we have to isolate him from "the family", but I guess it is what it is.

I'm not totally sure what the point of this post is, I guess just venting my frustrations.  Here are some pictures of the protective "big brother".


overseeing tummy time

0 comments: