Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Great Debate

Pets on furniture: yea or nay?

The cats obviously have the run of the house, it's pretty hard to control where they go.

When we brought puppy Cash home last July we decided he would not be allowed on any furniture. After a month or so we started letting him up on the bed when he was invited, but never to sleep all night. That turned into him using our bed as his napping place during the day and evening. No big deal.

When we brought our Christmas tree into the house we had to move our chair out of the living room and into the "workout room" for the month of December. Cash had never offered to jump on the chair before, but he would often lay in that chair while Rodney was working out in the mornings. No big deal.

When we moved the chair back into the living room, we decided to put a blanket in it and call that his chair. He loves it and has loved it for 3 or 4 weeks now. Today I left the living room for a few minutes and when I came back, this is what I found.

There are times when I feel like changing my mind and letting him snuggle on the couch with me. It's so hard to resist his sweet face when he sits in front of it and stares at me. Unfortunately, we don't have a nifty microfiber couch that the hair just slides right off of. I struggle as it is to get the cat hairs out of the fibers of the couch, but I'm really tempted to give in on this one. It doesn't help that he is allowed on all furniture at my parents' house. My mom doesn't care.

So readers, I need some insight. Do you allow your pets on your furniture?

4 comments:

kari said...

I picked out microfiber couches for the sole purpose of letting our dogs on the furniture. I knew that I wouldn't be able to tell them no, so I made it so the couches were easy to clean.

Mrs. Case said...

We have a long-haired chihuahua and we allow her on the furniture. Mainly because she is tiny and therefore doesn't cause an impediment. Sometimes I wish we didn't but it is hard to control, especially when we are not home to enforce rules. Our next pet will liekly not go on the furniture and we don't allow it when we have company, which thoroughly confuses poor Paris.

Anonymous said...

The cats obviously because it's just not possible to tell the cats no. The dogs are allowed on certain things but not others. We recently bought new couches and those are off limits to them but we have a futon that they're allowed on. They seem find with the arrangement.

Lori Z said...

We only have cats for now and like other people said, it's pretty impossible to keep cats off the furniture. When we get a dog however, they will not be allowed on any of the furniture. We want a pretty big dog though so he/she would probably take up most of the couch/bed. I remember when I was younger and I would spend the night at my friend's house and her big lab would sleep with us in the bed...I hated it. I would always get pushed off. I need my space when I sleep!