Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Silent hunters

Reason #23 that I love my cats...

they are excellent bug-catchers.

Summer is here and our house is filled with bugs. Flying bugs, crawling bugs, small bugs, large bugs. I hate them all. I yell at Rodney and make him come get them and ultimately do something to keep them from coming in. We sprayed inside and outside last weekend but Rodney's dad seems to think they may be coming from hatching eggs that have been dormant and are hatching in the new warmth. That's just great!

My cats have never stood on their own 4 feet on the outside ground for more than 2 minutes at a time (with a harness and leash, which they hate). They have been exercising their inner hunting instincts by chasing down the bugs in our house. I can always tell when there is a bug on the ceiling because Sophie will stare with huge eyes. It's pretty funny to watch them try to climb the walls to get to the bug. My favorite scenario is when a flying bug gets in the house and the cats literally chase it down and pounce on it. I'm always amazed with how they can usually pull the bug down on the first jump. I wish I was that fast. Most nights now they walk around looking quickly around the room, along the walls, on the ceiling. It makes me sort of paranoid, thinking they're always seeing bugs, but I think they are the ones that are actually paranoid. They're afraid they're going to miss something.

I feel pretty confident that nothing creepy crawly can last too long in our house. I guess I can put up with the cat hair on my bed, clothes, and furniture for an unofficial exterminating service.

0 comments: