Thursday, January 30, 2014

Levi at 6 months


Levi's personality is really starting to come through. He is either hot or cold. 50% (or more) of the time he is so happy, and 50% (or less) of the time he is fussy and cranky and clingy. There's not much in between. He is our little firecracker and we love him for it. I can't wait to see how this plays out as he gets older. He is so different from Isaac. Isaac was a very chill, relaxed, overall pleasant baby. This hot or cold thing is new to me, but it keeps life interesting.

Levi weighs 16 pounds 6 ounces and is 26.25 inches long. He is just starting to outgrow his 6 month clothes and wears mostly 9 month now. Same goes for sleepers.


Levi started sitting up this month, which changed his world. It pretty much happened overnight. One day he absolutely hated when I would practice sitting with him and would slump over and not even try. All of a sudden we had a couple of days where he actually tried and did ok, and on the third day he was sitting unassisted for longer periods of time. He continues to get better every day.


I started noticing he was in obvious pain from teething around the first part of the month. He has always had the classic signs of teething, lots of drooling, enjoys chewing on his hands and toys, but those are also just things that non-teething babies do. However, I noticed a change. He was particularly fussy and seemed to have a true need to chew on things. I typically gave him my knuckle to chew on because he became very frustrated when he couldn't hold his toys the way he needed to really gnaw on them. On Friday the 10th, I was talking to a friend about amber teething necklaces and mentioned that Levi had been in obvious pain but there were no signs of teeth. The very next day I noticed a small white spot on his gums and upon further inspection found he actually had a tiny corner of a tooth through the gums! His second bottom tooth cut through one week later.


We started solids this month, first oatmeal, then sweet potatoes, peas, pears, bananas, carrots, and squash. So far he loves everything, but he may have a slight preference for peas and bananas.


He is still sleeping in his crib in his Baby Merlin Magic Sleepsuit at night, and still swaddled in the rock n play for naps, but I'm determined to change that soon. He takes 2-3 naps a day (usually 3), goes to bed around 7-7:15, and wakes up between 6 and 6:30, although last week he slept until almost 7:00 a few days. He drinks 4 bottles a day, plus breakfast and dinner solids.

He can roll both ways but doesn't do it very often. In fact, he hasn't rolled back to belly since he first did it several weeks ago, but he has done more belly to back (but still not regularly).


Overall Levi's personality is getting more happy, less fussy (unless his mouth is hurting), but he still demands a lot of entertainment. I'm still coming to terms with the fact that he's not the independent baby that Isaac was, and that's ok.


Some nicknames we currently have for Levi: The Levinator, Leevee, Lee, or Bubby (what Isaac calls him most of the time).



Loves:
- pulling Mommy's hair
- the cats
- putting his fingers in Mommy's mouth
- bouncing and jumping (in his jumperoo but moreso on someone's lap)
- being naked
- playing with his feet
- flying like an airplane
- The Wheels On The Bus

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He turned 6 months old yesterday so technically we're in month 7 now, but something awesome happened today. I sat Levi on the floor and he was the steadiest he has ever been. Typically I don't leave his side at all because he will fall to one side or the other eventually, but today I sat right beside him playing with Isaac and the ipad for over 30 minutes and he toppled over 1 time. It was wonderful and I can see that we're getting to the "sit and play happily with toys" phase. :)

0 comments: