Monday, September 12, 2011

goodbye summer, hello Hilton Head

Last week we said goodbye to summer by spending the week at the beach. I thought this vacation would never come. We chose to take our annual beach trip in September so that Isaac and his cousin Brinkley would be as old as possible, therefore making it easier on everyone. I'm glad we waited, because he is so much more flexible now than he was 3 or 4 months ago, but it was so hard to see all my friends go on vacation in June and July and know that we still had to wait.  I'm probably the most impatient person in the world, or close to it.

We went with my parents, brother, sister-in-law, nephew, and niece, just like we have the past 3 years (well, minus my niece).  Having 2 10-month-olds with us this year was definitely interesting, but we made the most of it. We tried to keep Isaac's schedule as normal as possible, but he usually got in bed later than normal.  I wasn't sure how he would sleep in the pack and play, but he did well.

We dealt with rain and clouds the first half of the week, then sunny skies but slightly cooler temperatures the second half. Isaac took a nap every morning, then we hit the pool and beach for 1-1.5 hours before coming back up for lunch and his afternoon nap. Some days Rodney and I were able to go to the pool while he napped and my mom stayed with him, but other days we spent a lot of time inside our condo. We went out for dinner most nights, and although Isaac wasn't a fan of sitting still for that long, we had plenty of people to keep him occupied.

He was pretty unimpressed by the ocean and sand, and didn't particularly love the pool, but didn't hate it either. I think he is teething again, because he spent most of the week with his whole hand shoved in his mouth.

Enough talking, here are some pictures.


We had a nice vacation, but it's also nice to be back home and back to normal. Isaac was thrilled to see the cats again.

Unfortunately, Isaac was a little traumatized by the 6.5 hour trip there and back, and now throws a fit every time he has to get in his car seat. It doesn't last long, but it's a little discouraging. I'm so proud of how well he did while we were gone, but I'm still thankful for our normal, boring routine.

3 comments:

Mindy said...

Love your pictures! Especially the one of Issac on the beach with the grass behind him!

Even with Ci being two years old I still hate messing up her routine. We may try Hilton Head one year instead of Myrtle Beach, it looks beautifuL!

Danielle said...

So glad you guys had a good time! You're making me miss the beach!!

Kayla said...

Ooo I'm so jealous of your vacation! Looks like you had a wonderful time! :-) Love all the pictures.... Routines are definitely a must in this house too. Helps keep Adam in a better mood! :-)