Friday, November 20, 2009

Fireplace overhaul, part 2???

For 11 months now, I have had an unfinished project looming over my head: our fireplace. Back in January, I begged Rodney to take the shelves out of our non-functioning fireplace. And being he good husband that he is, he did it for me. The only problem is...I didn't expect it to look like it did in the end. Don't get me wrong, I love the way it looks without the shelves (much better!) but I didn't expect to see this:


Strips of bare, raw wood. This is what my fireplace has looked like for 11 months. Why? Because I'm clueless about what to do with it. As you can see, I have purchased some black pillar holders for a candle display inside. Our mantel is a dark stained brown, and I would love the fireplace to match the mantel. Unforunately, stripping and staining is not at the top of the list of things we really want to do right now. So I'm considering painting the inside of the fireplace. The only problem is, if I go with a dark color, the candle holders now fade into the background and I have to find something else to go inside.

Oh, did I mention this has to be done by next Thursday because we're hosting my family for Thanksgiving dinner? That's what brought all this back to the front of my mind. I can't have a house full of people and a tacky striped fireplace.

So what do I do about the color? Dark brown like the mantel and find something new? I was thinking some sort of glass candle holders. My biggest problem is visualizing all of these plans. Help!


{I'm also considering repainting the living room. I now know why we haven't painted a single thing since we moved in...because I get very overwhelmed standing in front of the wall of paint chips.}

UPDATE: I guess I asked for help a little too late. Rodney came home from work and we formulated a plan, picked up supplies after dinner, and are in the process of executing that plan now. I'm crossing my fingers that it comes out ok.

0 comments: