Monday, October 28, 2013

a day in the life

This is a typical Sunday for us...church, Isaac spends the afternoon with his grandparents, we eat dinner with them.

Isaac is almost 13 days shy of 3 years and Levi is 9 days shy of 3 months.


6:35  I wake up to the sound of Isaac yelling across the house. We have a baby gate outside his door so he can't roam the house by himself in the middle of the night, and most mornings he opens his door and yells for us when he's ready to get up. This is a little earlier than usual. I only hear him the one time so I close my eyes again for a few more minutes.

6:50  I check the monitor and I can see Isaac's light is on but he is not in bed. While I'm watching the lights go off, then on, then off again. I stumble out of bed and to his room where he greets me by saying "I'm awake!" Usually it's "Good morning, Mommy!" I change his diaper and start looking through his closet for something he can wear to church today. It's our first Sunday where he needs to wear long sleeves and we haven't actually bought any "church shirts" yet. I make him try on a shirt from last year and it almost works but is just barely too small, so I decide today will be a casual church day.

7:00  Isaac asks to watch a show so I turn on his current favorite, Henry Hugglemonster, while I take a minute to wake up with Facebook. Rodney and Levi are still sleeping but I kind of hope they wake up soon because it's going to be a mad scramble to get everyone ready and we can't really do that until they get up since Levi is still sleeping in our bedroom. He is a light sleeper, especially this time of morning, and I can't wait to get him in his own room.


7:15  Rodney emerges from the bedroom and makes some coffee while I make Isaac's breakfast and unload the top of the dishwasher. 

7:35  Rodney takes a shower while I do my makeup and hair and go to the closet to find something to wear. 

7:45 Levi is awake.

I take him to the couch to feed him and Isaac wants to help. Right as he finishes his bottle Rodney is out of the shower and dressed so he gets Isaac dressed while I change Levi's diaper and get him dressed. He hangs out on the bed while I get dressed. (Lots of getting dressed going on, thank goodness!) I decide on the spur of the moment to try on my jeggings from last year and do a happy dance when they fit. It's a jeggings and boots kind of day.

While I'm getting dressed and ready, Rodney is packing the diaper bag and Isaac's backpack for church and unloads the bottom of the dishwasher.

8:32  We're in the car and on our way to church.

blurry from the movement of the car, but too cute. This is what I saw once when I looked over on our way to church.

8:51  Arrive at church. We drop Isaac off at his class then stop by the nursery. I've been taking Levi with me to small group but he likes to fight sleep and fuss and I end up leaving and missing half of class anyway. The nursery worker during this hour is actually the nurse at our pediatrician's office, so I'm very comfortable with her. Amy is totally fine with me leaving him today so I set her up with instructions and leave my phone number in case he's awful. We go upstairs to our class, eat breakfast, and get started around 9:20.

10:00  This is the time class is supposed to end but we always run long. I want to catch Amy before she leaves and the next workers come in so I go downstairs to get Levi. He is asleep in her arms. I talk to her a minute about his eczema and his irritated neck rolls. She said they actually look a little yeasty and I mention the doctor gave us a prescription to fill last time if we thought they turned into a yeast rash. Amy said it might be time to do that.

I take Levi (still sleeping even after he was transferred from Amy to me!) back upstairs for the last 5 minutes of class. We stay and talk to a friend for a while before picking up Isaac from his class.

passed out, and an unintentional pic of the irritated neck folds

10:36  I feel like a walking circus as we move through the church juggling all of our children, bags, and bibles. We're finally headed home. The service starts at 10:30 but we still don't feel like Levi is ready to stay at church from 9:00-12:15 (or later). I really hope we can make it back one day soon, but for now this is what we have to do.

10:55  We get home and I feed Levi a bottle while Rodney takes Isaac outside to add more Halloween decorations.

11:15  Rodney starts Isaac's lunch and Levi gets a diaper and outfit change. Rodney scoops the litterbox while I fix the rest of Isaac's lunch with one hand and hold Levi in the other. After this I get Levi situated in the bouncer for some rest time while Isaac eats his lunch.



11:45  Levi is over it and ready for a nap. I get him settled in the swing while Rodney lays down with Isaac for a few minutes before nap.

12:10  Rodney and I sit down to watch Grey's Anatomy from Thursday while eating lunch.

12:38  Levi cries out from his swing. This prompts me to check the monitor and I discover that Isaac is out of bed in his room. Rodney goes in to check on him and I hear, "Why are your pants off?" So much for a nice double naptime.

12:44  I see Isaac climbing out of bed on the monitor so I use the speaker feature to tell him to get back in bed. He tells me he needs to pee pee in the potty. We are not even that heavily potty training, so I'm shocked that he knows he can use that as an excuse to get out of bed. Imagine my surprise when he does a huge pee in the potty! Is it really time to do this?

1:06  Isaac is still awake and restless so Rodney decides to lay down with him for a few minutes. We're almost done with Grey's Anatomy but I pause it so R can see the end. I'm vegged out on the couch, working on this post and researching coconut oil for Levi's eczema.

1:11  Isaac comes out of his room and says he's going to watch football with Daddy. Usually on days that he doesn't nap I make him rest in his room until 2:00, but whatever.



1:42  Rodney and Isaac go upstairs to play and I put the sheets from Isaac's bed in the washing machine, then sit down to start addressing Isaac's birthday party invitations. They must get put in the mail tomorrow!

1:55  Isaac requests a snack, so I set him up with a small bowl of cheese crackers (Ritz bits).

2:10 Rodney's dad comes to get Isaac and take him back to the farm for an afternoon of fun.

2:20  Isaac finally finishes his snack and leaves with Papaw. Levi needs to get up, so I turn his swing off. I try to limit his naps to 2.5 hours (when they go that long) or else he won't sleep good the rest of the day.

2:32  Levi wakes up and gets a bottle from Rodney while I have a little snack of chips and salsa. After his bottle Rodney supervises activity mat time while I work in Levi's room hanging up clothes and tidying up. Levi gets some bumbo time then some tummy time, but that just makes him mad and he doesn't really recover.



3:40  I take Levi to the nursery to do a little nap wind down while Rodney goes to the garage to workout. I wrap Levi in his Miracle Blanket and within 2 minutes of rocking he is out cold.

3:50  I put Levi in the rock n play and slip out of the room. I sit down to work on an email for small group. I write down the prayer requests that are shared every week in class and email them out to the group at some point in the week.

4:23  The pacifier falls out of his mouth and I send Rodney in to replace it. I go back in several more times to put the paci back in until he finally starts to doze off again around 4:40. He goes in and out of sleep for a while. I know better than to get him up the first time he wakes up. He almost always goes back to sleep eventually.

4:45  I order a pizza and Rodney heads out to pick it up.

5:15 I have to wake Levi up so we can go to Rodney's parents' house for dinner. We have salad and pizza, but Isaac has chicken nuggets before we get there because he is the only kid in the world that doesn't like pizza. We stay for a while and Levi doesn't get his catnap that he usually does this time of day because he hates sleeping anywhere other than home. After fighting him for a while, I give Rodney "the look" that says it's time to go.

6:55  Everyone is loaded up and we're on our way home, but not after a few tears from Isaac because he doesn't want to leave. Levi falls asleep on the way home.

7:07  We get home and immediately start getting Isaac ready for bed. Levi is still (miraculously) sleeping in the car seat so we leave it in the floor and focus on Isaac. Normally on Sundays we either skip his bath or R's mom will give him a bath before he comes home, but tonight we skip since he didn't take a nap and had a busy afternoon on the farm. He just needs to get in bed. We change into his pajamas, brush teeth, read a bible story, then cuddle in bed and talk for a few minutes.

7:20  We leave Isaac's room and Levi is awake in his car seat. No clue how long that has been the case, but he's fairly content. It's bath time for Levi.


I take a shower while Rodney gives Levi a bath. After bath is lotion, pajamas, and bottle, then a few minutes of hanging out on the bed before he gets swaddled and laid down awake in the pack n play.

8:08  Levi is down and we leave the room. Rodney had to go in once to replace the paci and he fell asleep shortly after that. I check the monitor and see that Isaac is sleeping peacefully in his bed.

8:30  We zone out on the couch with our laptop (me) and ipad (Rodney) while watching The Amazing Race.

9:30  I go to the bedroom to wind down for a few minutes before bed. Usually I do this by playing around on my ipad, but tonight it is not picking up our wifi so I go straight to sleep.




0 comments: