Friday, January 18, 2013

snow day

It rained pretty much nonstop from Sunday night/Monday morning through Thursday afternoon. The meteorologists were saying it could turn to heavy snow on Thursday afternoon if all the conditions happened just the right way.

Isaac's MDO program follows the same schedule as the public schools in town, so when they dismissed early at 1:30 (for possible snow later in the afternoon), I headed out an hour early to pick up Isaac. He never naps at MDO and typically does ok, but he fell asleep in the car right before we got home, so instead of pulling in the garage, I sat in the driveway and let him sleep to the background of the rain. We sat for about 20 minutes before he started stirring, so I pulled into the garage and got him out. At that point I could see tiny pieces of ice mixed in the rain as it hit my windshield. The thermometer in my car said 32 degrees.

I brought Isaac inside and he just melted into one big tired fit. A small car nap was not enough, so I spend 10 minutes trying to rock him, comfort him, and figure out what he was saying through the tears. After that we left his bedroom and saw beautiful snowflakes falling from the sky. It was already sticking to our back deck. I could see that the forecast was going to be correct. Wet, heavy snow that came fast and furious.

After about an hour and a couple of inches of accumulation I decided to bundle Isaac up and head outside for some playtime. The snow was still coming down hard so I could only snap a few pictures before putting the camera away. He loved it, but he kept falling and that made him frustrated, but he still didn't want to come inside. I finally had to carry him inside kicking and screaming.

The best picture I got last night (even though it's out of focus):


Today's forecasts included lots of sun and warming temperatures, so we bundled up early for more snow play before it all melted. He really just liked walking around and occasionally touching the snow (and then insisting I wipe his hands off). We have a lot of kids in our neighborhood, all 7-11 years old. They were all outside playing and sledding down a neighbor's hill and invited us to sled too. I was a little apprehensive but Isaac loved it. We went twice, and by that time we had been out for a while and Isaac was starting to melt down, even though he loved it. After our second trip down we went inside, Isaac crying the whole time. Just like last night, as soon as we got inside and changed clothes he was fine.

A neighbor was nice enough to take a few pictures for me. I'm so glad I got to see his sweet smile. This was the first time. The second time down he giggled the whole way.





cold hands

We don't get much snow around here, so I'm pretty excited that Isaac got a chance to experience it this year.




0 comments: