Friday, September 28, 2012

a day in the life: 22 months

This post is officially 4 weeks old now. I started it and never finished it, but it still deserves to be posted. This was a typical day for us right before he turned 22 months old, August 31.



6:25  I hear Isaac talking over the monitor and nervously check the time. He has been waking up before 6:00 some days this week, so I'm pleasantly surprised to see 6:25. I doze off for a few more minutes.

7:00  I get up and go to Isaac's room.



I take him to our bedroom where I change his diaper and we talk to Rodney while he showers and gets ready for work. While we talk, Rodney teaches Isaac how to say "Hook 'em horns" in anticipation of college football starting this weekend.

7:35  Rodney leaves for work and I start a load of laundry. Isaac helps me take the towels out of the dryer and push the basket into the living room where I fold them.



I load the dishwasher and hand wash a few dishes while Isaac plays in his cabinet.


8:00  Breakfast, a scrambled egg and toast with peanut butter for him and cereal for me. He eats the toast and turns his nose up at the eggs. My good eater has turned into a picky eater lately, so I'm not surprised. After breakfast I clean up a little and we sit on the couch and be silly together. We saw a commercial for a local car dealership and he pointed out the cars, so I thought it might be a good time to try out his new Cars dvd. I put it in and he started asking for Woody. We've tried Toy Story in the past but he hasn't shown a lot of interest. He definitely wasn't interested in Cars, so I turned on Toy Story.

I went to move the clothes from the washer to the dryer and found him like this when I came back:


Again, I wasn't surprised because his new favorite thing to do is take his pants off. At least it's not his diaper *knock on wood*

9:20  He has actually been watching the movie (while occasionally wandering around), so I try to sneak away to make myself presentable. It's not long before I hear little feet coming my direction.

9:50  I get Isaac dressed and brush his teeth. I'm still not ready. I've been distracted by a little boy who wants mama to play and texts from Rodney and a friend. I turn on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse so I can finish getting ready.

10:15  We make a birthday card for a friend.


10:30  We're ready to go.


I take Cash out, load Isaac in the car, then run back in not once, but twice, to retrieve my sunglasses and the birthday card. We pull out of the driveway around 10:40.

11:00  Chick-fil-a lunch date with friends to celebrate a birthday. Highlights include Isaac spilling his milk, Isaac screaming for fries, and Isaac getting a balloon. We also got a balloon for the birthday girl (adult) and sang to her.



12:00  In the car headed home. This is Isaac's normal naptime so I'm hoping the balloon keeps him occupied and awake in the back seat.

12:25  We're home. Isaac gets a quick diaper change and goes straight in the crib. I sit down for a minute to catch up on some DVR and work on this post.

12:40  Asleep.

1:15  I pry myself off the couch and get busy. Scoop litterbox, fold clothes, unload dishwasher.

1:40  I get a text from a friend inviting us to come play at their house after nap. We've been so busy lately that we haven't been able to go there in weeks, so I gladly accepted!

1:55  Isaac wakes up crying. This is an every day thing now. He wakes up so grumpy and quite honestly pissed off. We have a fit every day after nap and I almost dread nap time just because of wake up time. Today is no different. He was ok when I got him out of the crib, but then he just wanted me to hold him and acted like I was killing him when I offered him water. This turned into a full blown tantrum, the worst one I've seen yet. He was on the floor of his bedroom kicking his feet and screaming. I'm sure he would do better with more than 1:15-1:30 of nap, but I learned a long time ago that I can't make him sleep and I don't know how to help him.

After about 10 minutes of the crazy tantrum, I decided we were leaving regardless of how he was acting. I picked him up and took him to the car and he slowly calmed down. He was fine again until we got to our friend's house and he lost it again but not nearly as bad or for as long. He was perfectly fine for the rest of the afternoon.

We played outside all afternoon with their riding toys and in the sandbox. This was Isaac's first time in a sandbox and he loved it. 



5:00  We walk in the door right as Rodney calls to say he's leaving work. 

5:20  Isaac has dinner while Rodney changes clothes and goes outside to mow the yard.

5:45  I take Isaac outside to finish mowing with Rodney and I come inside and finish cleaning the kitchen.

6:10  The boys are done with the yard and Rodney needs to weed-eat now, so Isaac and I pass the time by taking a walk in his car, then playing in the yard for a while.




6:40  Bath time! Rodney washes him quickly then leaves to get dinner while I get him out and put on diaper and pajamas. We brush teeth and sit in the chair to say our prayers and talk and giggle before bed.



7:00  I tuck Isaac into bed with his little blankie, big blankie, Elmo, and Grover. I close the door and collapse on the couch for a few minutes.

7:18  I turn on the video monitor for the first time since putting him down and see that his pajama pants are around his ankles. I go back in and fix his pants and he doesn't say a word to me, so I know he's sleepy.

7:20  Rodney gets home with dinner. We watch tv while we eat.


This is where I ended the post four weeks ago, so it gets a little fuzzy from here. I'm sure Rodney played video games while I played on the computer. I went to bed around 10:00 and R stayed up for a while.



0 comments: