Thursday, February 11, 2010

cruises and cakes

Rodney came home tonight from 3 days out of town, and as happy as I was to see him, it was a little bittersweet. Less than 48 hours from now I will be boarding a plane and starting my "girls vacation". I'm going on a cruise with my mom, aunt, cousin, little cousin (age 6), and cousin's husband. Yeah, a "girls cruise". It started out just us girls until M (the husband) wanted to come along too, and none of the other husbands could/wanted to, so we told M he could come anyway. Plus, my cousin is pregnant, and I know he feels better about coming along with all of us out of the country.

Anyway...I'm really excited about our cruise and time with my family, but it's going to be so weird without Rodney. I fell in love with cruising with R, and I don't think we've spent this much time apart since we've been together. I know I'll have a great time, but I wish he was coming too.

Did I mention we'll be apart on Valentine's Day? We normally don't make a big deal about it the 14th, but just knowing that we can't do anything special kind of stinks.

Ok, enough whining.

Rodney's birthday was Sunday and the NFL heard about it and scheduled the Super Bowl that day just for him. It made for a great birthday party. We usually host the Super Bowl party at our house but Josh and Ginger wanted to host it this year. We had lots of food, fun, and of course, birthday cake.

My sister-in-law makes beautiful cakes, so I asked her to use her creative genius for R's birthday this year. I went to her house to pick it up and gasped at how awesome it was. Little did I know, I should have taken a picture of it there.

The cake had a little accident on the way home.

The 2 layers of cake had a layer of cream cheese goodness in between them, and the golf ball on top was so heavy that it slid off, causing the top layer of cake to slide over as well.

I was devastated that the cake wasn't perfect when Rodney saw it for the first time, but he loved it anyway. And it still tasted great!

I'm going to try to line up some posts for next week while I'm gone, and hopefully I can share my cruise pictures in a more timely fashion than last time.

1 comments:

kari said...

Have a great time on your cruise. Tom and I have really fallen in love with cruising as well. We are taking another one in August.

That cake is awesome! Happy Belated Birthday Rodney.