Tuesday, August 25, 2009

where do you keep your memories?

A few days ago I was lying in bed waiting for my alarm to go off, thinking about the dorm room I lived in my freshman year of college, when I thought to myself, "I have a picture of that somewhere." Key word: somewhere.

Even before I knew how to take a pretty picture (which I'm definitely still working on), I loved capturing moments. Places I went, things I experienced, the people that meant the most to me. I like to capture the story with my pictures. Unfortunately, those stories are now sitting in some old shoe boxes in our guest room, all crammed together in no order. And most of the stories from 2003 to present are sitting on my computer's hard drive, or on CDs. And in the case of the stories from June-August 2009, they're still in my camera.

What a sad existence for memories I hold so dear. My digital files are organized in a way that I can retrieve them any time I wish, but those old printed photographs are jumbled up, and it would take me longer than I'd like to find those pictures from my dorm room. Since I have plenty of time on my hands, I've decided my next project will be organizing (the best I can) my old photos. I'll keep you updated. And I may even show you some pictures from my dorm room.

0 comments: