Wednesday, August 27, 2014

a day in the life

August 13, 2014
Isaac is 3 years, 9 months old. Levi is 12 months old.


1:11 I heard our bedroom door open, but it sounds like when the door is not latched and a cat pushes his way in, so I'm instantly confused as to how the cats got in when the door was closed. I soon realize it's Isaac. I ask him what's wrong, thinking he has either wet the bed or thrown up, because that's the only reason he comes in our room at night, but he says he just wants to "rest" with us. He is quite resistant to going back to his own bed, so I go tuck him in and lay with him, fighting not to fall asleep myself.

1:21 I get up and tell Isaac I'm leaving now and he is fine with it and tells me good night. I go back to my bed and struggle to fall asleep for a while.

6:18  Rodney's second alarm goes off. He is in the bathroom getting dressed for his run. At the same time, Isaac comes to our bedroom and climbs in bed with me. Rodney leaves to go run on the treadmill and I fall asleep quickly, only vaguely aware of Isaac leaving a few minutes later.

6:45  My alarm goes off. I roll over and wake up slowly, checking facebook on my ipad for a few minutes. I can hear Isaac stomping around in the main part of the house. I check the baby monitor and see that Levi is also awake.

6:55  My second alarm goes off and I get up, but get distracted talking to Rodney.

7:04  I send Isaac into Levi's room while I pour him a cup of milk. The boys play around happily and I talk to Rodney while he gets ready.


7:25  Rodney leaves for work.

7:58  Breakfast. The boys usually both eat a waffle, but today we only had 1 left, so they each got half. Levi ate 3/4 of a banana, and Isaac had a scrambled egg, yogurt, and 1/4 of a banana.

8:20  Breakfast is over. I turn on an episode of Paw Patrol for Isaac (his favorite show at the moment) and Levi is fascinated too, so I use this time to clean up from breakfast and start on my to-do list, which is rather long today. I scoop the litter box and start the dishwasher until Levi starts fussing, so I sit in the floor and play with him.

8:45  Paw Patrol is over so we turn the tv off and I sit at the table with Isaac to work on his homework for his new Wednesday night class at church (which I have put off until the last minute). Last week was his first class and I think we have a small lesson to work through at home each week. I set some toys out for Levi and he plays happily in the floor beside us.


9:00 I take Levi to his room and read a book before putting him in the crib for nap. I get dressed in my workout gear while I'm waiting for him to fall asleep.

9:25  Levi is asleep so I set Isaac up with a snack and another Paw Patrol and go to the garage to run on the treadmill. I'm doing Couch to 5K again and today I'm on Week 4 day 2.

Approximtely 22 minutes into my run/walk, Isaac opens the garage door and tells me he spilled milk "everywhere". "I spilled milk on Daddy's ipad!" Yep, that will make me stop on a dime. I run into the house and clean up as much milk as I can, first making sure the ipad is ok. Everything seems ok, so I run back to the treadmill and finish my workout.

10:03  I'm done and back inside. I take a quick shower, then direct Isaac in getting dressed. He insists on getting dressed completely by himself, every day.

11:00  I have to wake up Levi now. I hate waking him up but this is critical to preserving his second nap and bedtime. I get him dressed, I cut both boys fingernails and toenails, and we all play around in Levi's room for a while.


11:35  Lunch is served. Levi is acting unhappy with almost everything I give him (possibly teething pain?) so I give him a veggie pouch. We have really moved away from pouches lately but they are so nice to have around for times like this.

12:05  We are loaded up in the car and driving to Rodney's work to drop off an important package that arrived via UPS today. That only takes a few minutes, so we stop by TJ Maxx on the way home. We don't have a Target here, so we use TJ Maxx as our walk around and kill time (and money) place. I end up buying some more sippy cups, because why not? We are at the point where I'm trying to find the perfect sippy cup for Levi, but it just doesn't exist. I thought I found it, but it leaks like crazy when tipped over, so I'm still searching. I've spent a small fortune already, but I think I got some good ones today.

1:00  We are home and it feels amazing outside, so we go to the backyard and swing.



1:18  We go inside to get ready for Isaac's nap. We all read a book together and the boys play around on Isaac's bed.

1:30  I tuck Isaac into bed, change Levi's diaper, then take him upstairs to play.

1:55  Back downstairs, cuddle time with Levi, then he goes into the crib for nap.

Double nap time is typically the time when I get things done. Sometimes I do my workout now, sometimes I clean, sometimes I prep for dinner as much as possible. Today I clean up from lunch (finally), unload and reload the dishwasher, finish watching last night's America's Got Talent, and type up the prayer requests from small group on Sunday to email out.

3:04  Isaac is awake, which shocks the crap out of me. He usually sleeps until I wake him up at 3:30. He asks for his normal after-nap snack with an episode of Paw Patrol. After that, he plays with his Legos while I wash a few dishes, including the new sippy cups I bought today.

4:10  I have to wake Levi up again.


He gets a diaper change and snack, I comb Isaac's hair for the first time today, and we go outside to play. I push Levi in the swing while Isaac grabs different things from the toy box and quickly decides he doesn't want to play with each of them. Levi wants out of the swing to be with his brother, so I let him down and he still isn't happy. I finally open the sandbox even though we don't have much time left before we have to leave for dinner, and they are both happy now.



4:47  We go inside to wash hands and get ready to leave.

4:55  We back out of the garage on our way to meet daddy for dinner at church. I look forward to Wednesday night church dinners all week. The food is delicious. Plus, the kids eat for free (only 2.5 months left for Isaac).



After dinner Isaac goes to his class at 6:00, Rodney stays at church and goes to an adult class while I take Levi home.

6:15  Levi and I leave church and stop by Walgreen's on our way home to pick up a few things.

6:42  We're home and it's bath time for Levi. It only took almost a year, but this little boy loves his baths now.


7:05  Levi is out of the bath, clean, dry, and in his PJs.


We sit down with a bottle, then he is on cloud 9. It doesn't matter how tired he is or what kind of mood he was in before, after his bedtime bottle he is the happiest little boy on the planet. Levi walks around the house and plays with anything and everything while I clean up a little more and get some things ready for Isaac to go to Mother's Day Out tomorrow.

7:40  Rodney and Isaac arrive home. Isaac picks up his toys since we ran out of time earlier.

7:45  I brush Levi's teeth and go to his room for cuddles. He's not feeling very cuddly tonight, so it doesn't last long and I give him a kiss and put him to bed. Rodney is supervising Isaac getting his pajamas on. Isaac brushes his teeth and we all hang around for a few minutes and talk.

8:05  Rodney tucks Isaac into bed. I sweep and mop the floor. I don't usually feel like doing this at the end of the day but tonight it's really bothering me and I'm in the mood so I take advantage of it.

8:18  We sit down to watch Big Brother.

9:25  I go back to the bedroom and watch tonight's America's Got Talent.

10:30  Time for bed!

12:30 am  Levi is crying, and not his normal middle of the night fuss. I wait a minute to see if he'll calm down, but he doesn't, so I go into his room and pick him up. We sit in the chair and he cuddles on my shoulder for about 10 minutes before I put him back in the crib. These moments are rare, and I typically spend the whole time worrying about if he's going to cry when I put him back, but I try so hard to soak it up and enjoy it. He was fine and just needed a little cuddle for whatever reason.

0 comments: