Saturday, April 2, 2011

5 months old


This has been the month of wonder and amazement.  That sounds silly, but every day I am amazed at what Isaac can do now and how much he has changed.  He is getting so much stronger.


He reaches for everything now!  He is showing much interest in adult things like the tv remote and cell phones.  I was hoping we had a few months before that started happening.  We'll often stand at the fridge and let him look at all of the pictures hanging on the front, but now he has started reaching for the magnets and photos.  He also likes to grab noses and hair.  Yeah, that's always fun.

Isaac has really discovered the animals this month, and will often watch a cat or Cash from across the room.  You can bet if one gets close enough he will reach out to touch it, and the cats are quickly learning to keep their distance.


Tummy time is no longer spent raising his head up and down and enduring it the best he can.  He now props himself up on his elbows and plays with toys that you put in front of him.  He can reach out for toys when he's on his stomach too.  He still won't roll, though.  He wants to, and he could if he tried hard enough.  He will sometimes roll halfway, and catches himself when he feels that sensation of falling.  He is getting pretty close to rolling from his back to his belly, though.  He loves to grab his feet and roll to his side, and I just know that one day he'll get enough momentum to roll over.


Isaac began eating solid foods this month in addition to his formula.  We started with rice cereal (not a fan), moved on to oatmeal (much better), sweet potatoes (seemed to like), and squash (made him horribly gassy so he only got that one day).  Ever since the squash gas pain incident we have not offered any more vegetables, just oatmeal, and we'll try some green veggies soon.

This month brought Isaac's first cold.  I was really hoping we could avoid that until next fall, but no such luck.  He woke up last Friday morning with a snotty, stuffy nose.  Thankfully, that has been his only symptom and he still acts like he feels fine.  Unfortunately, that snotty nose is still hanging around.  Today is day 9, and I know it takes a while for colds to completely go away, but I'm so ready to see it go.  He has been taking all naps in the swing since this cold showed up, but is still sleeping fine in his crib at night.  I think the humidifier has been helping in that department.

Naps have hit rock bottom this month.  We're lucky if we get a 30 minute nap, and some fall in the 20-something minute range.  Some days he is fine with his short naps, and other days he gets cranky and overtired and fights sleep.  I've heard this is just a developmental stage and it gets better around 6 months, but I won't believe it until I see it.

Another recent sleep development is our move toward de-swaddling.  Just this past week Isaac started breaking out of his swaddle every night, instead of once a week or so.  We took that as his cue that he's ready to get rid of it, so we jumped in feet first and just did it.  The first night was about as normal as it gets around here.  We've had 3 decent nights so far (minus waking up for the day 30-45 minutes earlier).


Isaac is wearing mostly 3-6 month clothes, with some 3 month outfits still fitting him.

The biggest "I'm so proud of my child" news this month is his ability to sit unassisted.  He went from starting to tripod at the very beginning of the month

to sitting on his own for several minutes only 4 weeks later.

On Wednesday, 3 days before his 5 month birthday, I sat him up and cautiously let go.  To my surprise, he balanced himself and sat that way for several seconds, maybe 30.  Every day since then he has gotten better, and while I certainly don't feel comfortable leaving him alone without a spotter, I'm so proud of him.

I'll leave you with one final picture, a comparison of then and now.  This morning I strapped Isaac into his bouncy seat while I made breakfast, like I do every morning.  I noticed how much he filled it up and thought back to what he looked like when we put him in it for the first time.  We laughed so hard because it looked like we had strapped him onto a wall.  His weight wasn't enough to make the bouncer go back very far.  This picture doesn't do it justice.  Now when you put him in, his weight makes the whole thing go way back.  I considered saving this comparison pic for 6 months but then realized we may not be using this at 6 months, especially since he's getting better at sitting on his own (not to mention packing on the pounds).  I loved this bouncer, and Isaac loves the toy bar that hangs over it now more than ever.
{I love his skinny little ankles that the socks can't even hold onto.}  

0 comments: